Top Stories

Thu
22
Jun

SC: Ratify Gitmo2 deal or send them back

The Government of Ghana has been ordered by the country’s Supreme Court to send to parliament for ratification, the agreement between its government and the United States that allowed the transfer of two former Guantanamo Bay detainees to be transferred to Ghana in January 2016.

The agreement was reached between the Obama and Mahama administrations which are no more in office.

According to the apex court, it was unconstitutional for the transfer to have taken place without parliamentary approval.

The court has, therefore, ordered that the anomaly be rectified within three months or the ex-detainees returned to the US.

A seven-member panel chaired by Chief Justice Sophia Akuffo reached the ruling by a 6-1 majority, with only Justice William Atuguba dissenting.

Mon
19
Jun

Muslim girl killed after leaving mosque in Virginia

Washington, DC - Police have found what are believed to be the remains of a 17-year-old Muslim female who was abducted overnight after leaving her local mosque in Sterling, Virginia, near Washington, DC.

The All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS) in Sterling on Monday identified the missing girl as Nabra. Her last name is currently being withheld.

Local media reports that Nabra was a student who just finished her second year of high school.

"We are devastated and heartbroken as our community undergoes and processes this traumatic event." ADAMS said in a statement.

It is a time for us to come together to pray and care for our youth."

Nabra was last seen with a group of Muslim teens in the early hours of Sunday after having a meal at a local 24-hour restaurant near the mosque, where she attended prayers for Ramadan, a 30-day long holiday during which Muslims fast from dawn until sunset, according to reports from ADAMS and local police.

Thu
15
Jun

London fire: Death toll rises to 17

Rescuers do not expect to find anyone else alive in the west London block of flats which was engulfed by a massive fire, the fire service says.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said there were still "unknown numbers" of people in the smouldering ruins of Grenfell Tower, in north Kensington.

People have been desperately seeking news of missing family and friends, after 17 people were confirmed dead.

The Queen has said her "thoughts and prayers" are with families.

More than 30 people remain in hospital - 17 of whom are in a critical condition.

Prime Minister Theresa May, who made a brief private visit to the scene, has promised a full investigation, as questions are asked about the speed at which the fire spread.

Firefighters were called to the 24-storey residential tower at 00:54 BST on Wednesday, at a time when hundreds of people were inside, most of them sleeping.

Tue
13
Jun

Panama's former President Ricardo Martinelli arrested in US

Former Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli has been arrested in Florida, the US Marshals Service says.
It says Mr Martinelli, aged 65, was taken into federal custody near his home in Coral Gables.

Last year, Panama made an extradition request for Mr Martinelli, who is accused of corruption and spying on political opponents.
Mr Martinelli, who governed the Central American nation from 2009-14, says the allegations are politically motivated.

He is expected to appear before a federal judge in Florida on Tuesday, the US Marshal Service says.
In 2015, Panama's Supreme Court ordered Mr Martinelli's arrest over the accusations that he used public funds to illegally spy on more than 150 prominent people.

Among those he allegedly spied on were trade union activists, politicians, lawyers, doctors and business people.

Fri
09
Jun

DR Congo's Kasai unrest must be investigated - UN

The UN human rights chief has called for an international investigation into massacres and crimes in Democratic Republic of Congo's central province of Kasai.
 
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein said the government response had so far fallen short.
 
In March, the decapitated bodies of 40 policemen were found, as well as the bodies of two missing UN investigators.
 
The government has been fighting the Kamuina Nsapu militia in the region.
 
Fighting broke out in June last year after its leader Jean-Pierre Pandi called for a popular uprising with the aim of removing all state institutions and security forces from the region so that he could establish his chiefdom.
 
Mr Pandi was killed two months later, after security forces raided his home, and his followers then took up arms.
 
The UN says hundreds of people have been killed and more than a million displaced in central DR Congo since fighting broke out.
 

Wed
07
Jun

Gun attacks and suicide bomb in Tehran

Armed individuals have opened fire at the Iranian parliament and Ayatollah Khomeini's mausoleum in the capital, Tehran, causing a number of casualties.

Heavy gunfire could be heard on videos filmed from outside parliament, and there are reports that a security guard has been killed.

Several people were injured in the attack at the mausoleum, dedicated to the founder of the Islamic Republic.

One suicide bomber and two or three other gunmen were involved.

Ali Khalili from the mausoleum's public relations office told the state-run Irna news agency that one of the armed men had blown himself up in front of a bank outside the mausoleum.

However, the Fars news agency reported that the suicide bomber was a woman. Images from the scene showed the remains of the bomber, apparently clad in black clothes.

The Ilna news agency said two attackers had been arrested.

Tue
06
Jun

Third London Bridge attacker named

The third London Bridge attacker has been named as Youssef Zaghba, a Moroccan-Italian man.

Pakistan-born Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Radouane, 30, both from Barking were the other two attackers.

Seven people were killed and 48 injured in the attack which began at 21:58 BST on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the second victim has been named - she was Australian Kirsty Boden, described by her family as an "outgoing, kind and generous person".

NHS England said 36 people remained in hospital, with 18 in a critical condition.

Thu
01
Jun

Over 40 people 'die of thirst' in Sahara Desert

Survivors say 44 people have died of thirst after their truck broke down in the Sahara Desert in northern Niger, the Red Cross has told the BBC.
 
The six survivors, all women, walked to a remote village and are being looked after in Dirkou, Niger, Red Cross official Lawal Taher said.
 
They say several children are among the dead.
 
The Ghanaians and Nigerians were trying to get to Libya, reports Nigerien news site Sahelien.
 
So far no-one has visited the site to identify the bodies, Mr Taher added.
 
The route from Niger to Libya is one of the main ways migrants reach North Africa before crossing the Mediterranean Sea to get to Europe.
 
Crossing the Sahara is one of the most perilous parts of the journey as migrants are crammed into pickup trucks often with only enough room for a few litres of water, reports Reuters news agency.

Sun
28
May

US Mississippi shooting leaves eight dead

An overnight shooting in the US state of Mississippi has left eight people dead, including a local deputy sheriff, police say.

The shootings took place in three separate locations in Lincoln County, south Mississippi.

A male suspect, named in local media as Cory Godbolt, was detained on Sunday morning and is in police custody.

Authorities say it is too early to consider any possible motive behind the killings.

The deputy sheriff who died in the shooting was named as William Durr, 36.
Deputy Sheriff Durr and three women were found dead at the scene of the shooting in Bogue Chitto, police said.

The next shooting took place in Brookhaven, where "the bodies of two juvenile males were located", police said.

The third crime scene was in East Lincoln, where a man and woman were killed.

The suspect, Cory Godbolt, spoke to local paper The Clarion-Ledger after he was detained.

Fri
26
May

Manchester suicide bomber spoke with brother 15 minutes before attack

British authorities are trying to contain the network they believe is behind the Manchester attack as it emerged that the suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, reportedly spoke to his brother in Libya just 15 minutes before he detonated his explosives.

"We are following up on the network, rolling it up, trying to contain it. As you've seen from the number of arrests, we are on the right track to try to contain it," UK Security Minister Ben Wallace told CNN in Manchester on Friday. "In the end you get to the bottom of a network."

Investigators continue to work around the clock to track down associates of Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton of Libyan descent, amid fears he is part of a network plotting further mayhem.

Pages

LIKE Us On Facebook

Subscribe to Top Stories