Ghana FA To Buy House for Avram Grant

Black Stars Management Committee Chairman, George Afriyie, has revealed that the FA is making moves to buy a house for Black Stars Coach Avram Grant anytime soon.

The FA Vice President was reacting to suggestions from some Ghanaian pundits, who insist it would have been better to keep the current Stars Coach Avram Grant in a rented apartment instead of a hotel.

The Israeli trainer is currently housed at the Alisa Hotel, which has left the FA and government with huge costs.

“If you own it, it’s much better than renting it because if you look at previous places where we put Black Stars coaches, you are looking at paying $4,000 or 5,000 a month,” Afriyie told Starr Sports.

“Why don’t we use that money as a mortgage to pay down for a house for the Black Stars Coach? This would be a cost effective measure.”


I Will Not Resign – Van Gaal

Louis van Gaal has insisted he will not resign as coach of Manchester United.

The Red Devils’ 0-0 draw with Chelsea on Monday, means that they have not won in eight games across all competitions.

Before the game, scarves carrying Jose Mourinho’s face, were sold at the Old Trafford grounds as speculation continue to mount over Van Gaal’s future. But the Dutchman says he will not quit.

“On the contrary, when the players can give such a performances with this lot of pressure then it is not any reason to resign for me,” Van Gaal told BT Sport.

“Maybe the media wants that, but I shall not do that.

“I have a contract, so it’s not a question of staying, it’s a question of fulfilling my contract.”

Van Gaal also stated that he can win over the fans, if the results begin to improve.


New Ebola case marks disease's return to Liberia

Photo Source:

The body of a dead Liberian man has tested positive for Ebola - the country's first reported case since it was declared free of the disease.
Deputy health minister Tolbert Nyenswah said tests confirmed that the 17-year-old man, from a town near the main airport, had died of the disease.
Officials are investigating how he contracted Ebola, Mr Nyenswah said.
Liberia was declared free of Ebola six weeks ago, following the deadliest outbreak in the disease's history.
More than 11,000 people have died of the disease since December 2013, the vast majority of them in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
The countries had largely curbed the spread of the disease - but the number of new cases has risen recently, with the start of the rainy season in West Africa.



New Jersey Man Dies Of Lassa Fever After Trip To Liberia

Photo Source:

A New Jersey man died Monday evening after been diagnosed with Lassa fever — a frightening infectious disease from West Africa that is rarely seen in the United States, a federal health official said.
The man recently returned from Liberia, arriving at New York City's JFK International Airport on May 17. He grew critically ill after his return, suffering from multiple organ failure, said Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
Health officials said they don't think the case is cause for public alarm. Lassa fever is not spread through casual contact. About a half dozen other cases have been diagnosed in travelers from West Africa in the past, and none of them ever spread the illness person-to-person, Frieden said.


Goodbye Ebola: Liberia holds party after 'beating' the disease

Photo Source:

Liberia's held an official celebration of the country being declared free of Ebola.
The government and the World Health Organisation made the announcement on Saturday after 42 days without a new case.
During Liberia's year-long epidemic 4,700 people died - more than any other country.
A public holiday was declared so pupils and workers could celebrate the virus being brought under control on Monday.
The outbreak still isn't over in neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone.
Liberians took to the streets with signs and posters with messages like "We will always overcome" and "We are the winner".
Others danced, played drums and waved flags in celebration.
The Ebola outbreak in West Africa was first reported in March 2014 and quickly became the deadliest outbreak since the disease was discovered in 1976.


Liberia declared Ebola-free after weeks of no cases

Photo Source:

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Liberia free of the Ebola virus, confirming that the country has had no new cases in 42 days.
President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf told the BBC that Liberia had "crossed the Rubicon" and would be celebrating a concerted effort to stem the disease.
More than 4,700 deaths from Ebola have been recorded in Liberia, more than in any other affected country.
Neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone continue to fight the outbreak.
It has claimed over 11,000 lives across the region since last year.
The WHO regards a country Ebola-free after a 42-day period without a new case - twice the maximum incubation period.
The last confirmed death in Liberia was on 27 March. On Saturday the World Health Organization said in a statement: "The outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Liberia is over."


Liberia sees resurgence in drug smuggling as Ebola wanes

Photo Source:

On a sultry March afternoon at Liberia's newly-opened northwestern border, drug enforcement agent Octavius Manning scrutinises cars as they roll across the bridge from Sierra Leone.
The main crossing point between the west African neighbours, the road over the Mano river at the trading post of Bo Waterside, was closed for six months in a bid to halt the spread of Ebola.
Reopened in February with the epidemic on the wane, Bo Waterside has welcomed an influx of traders -- and a resurgence of opportunists, small-time crooks and well-connected professionals smuggling cocaine and cannabis.
"This is the most crucial part of the job here. Almost every day we discover new tricks by drug traffickers. They camouflage the drugs in the goods they bring," Manning tells AFP.
The head of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Bo Waterside branch, Manning is in charge of stemming the flow of narcotics into Liberia from Sierra Leone.


Ebola outbreak: Liberia releases last patient

Photo Source:

Liberia has released its last Ebola patient after going a week without any new cases of the virus, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Beatrice Yardolo, 58, left a Chinese-run treatment centre in the capital Monrovia after two weeks of treatment.
Nearly 10,000 people have died from Ebola, the vast majority in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
WHO officials say there were 132 new cases in Guinea and Sierra Leone in the week to 1 March.
It is the first time since May 2014 that Liberia has had no new cases of the virus, the officials added.
Ms Yardolo, an English teacher, said she was "one of the happiest persons on earth" as she headed home from the treatment centre in Monrovia's Paynesville district.
She was the last patient undergoing treatment for the disease in Liberia.
'Threat remains'
But WHO officials have warned that populations are so mobile in the region that there could easily be fresh outbreaks in Liberia.


Ebola: Liberia's Johnson Sirleaf urges 'Marshall Plan'

Photo Source:

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has called for a "Marshall Plan" for the Ebola-affected countries of West Africa.
She was referring to the massive US aid programme for Europe launched after World War Two.
Her comments came after Sierra Leone was immediately granted more than $80m (£52m) to help end the Ebola outbreak and recover from its effects.
The IMF has pledged a $187m financial aid package for Sierra Leone.
Nearly $5bn has been pledged internationally to the Ebola effort, but less than half of the help has materialised.
About 600 delegates from around the world met in Brussels on Tuesday to talk about Ebola and long-term plans to fight the disease.
Nearly 10,000 people have died in the outbreak, the vast majority in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
This meeting is not a donor pledging conference - it marks the beginning of a new conversation, whose objectives could be difficult to achieve.


ALJA Remembers Fallen Liberian Journalists

The Interim Leadership of the Association of Liberian Journalists in the Americas (ALJA) has described the recent deaths of three Liberian journalists as “unfortunate and irreparable”.
The deceased journalists, Zoegar Jaynes, Setonneh Wiah, and Slewon T. Toe passed in November of last year in Monrovia, Liberia. According to family sources, the late Jaynes, Wiah, and T. Toe died as a result of various medical complications.
The late Jaynes was a former employee of the Liberia Broadcasting System (LBS). He worked as reporter, newscaster, and sports commentator. He was also, a former reporter of the Catholic owned Radio Veritas. The late Wiah was an ex-Kru Vernacular Announcer at the Ministry of Information Culture Affairs and Tourism (MICAT). He also, worked at the defunct Star Radio in similar capacity.


LIKE Us On Facebook

Subscribe to Liberia